Saturday, February 23, 2008

What really happened?

Well, as everyone knows now, we have 4 beautiful additions to our family.  How it all started.......well, that's the real question.  About a year and a half ago, we took a pregnancy test that came out +!  I had no idea what was in store for us.  Our first ultrasound showed that I was pregnant with twins.  I was a little nervous, but since Matt is a twin I figured we would be just fine.  I was pretty excited.  About 3 weeks later we had a another appointment for an ultrasound. During the ultrasound the doctor was very quiet and his eyes kept going back and forth on the screen.  Matt and my mom were very quiet, but their eyes were huge as they were watching the screen.  My mom asked the doctor if she was really seeing what she thought she was seeing.  The doctor then broke the news that we were expecting triplets.  This came as a huge shock.  I instantly began to cry.  All I could think of was how would I get through this, what about the older girls, and I was worried about the babies.  (Multiples of course are higher risk pregnancies). Any way, the weeks passed by and Matt and I were able to deal with the news.  By the third appointment I actually felt really good about having triplets.  The doctor took me in and asked how I felt.  I told him I felt pretty good as long as he didn't find any more in there.  He jokingly said if he found any more I could beat the "____" out of him.  He assured me there was nothing to worry about.   But......... as he did the ultrasound, there was silence again.  He looked terrified.  I knew that something wasn't right.  I pushed the ultrasound wand off my stomach and demanded he tell me how many there were.  I was really scared.  He confirmed that there was 4 sacks.  He made me lay down so that he could count them again.  I was in a state of shock.  Before he could finish, the nurse came in and said he was needed at the hospital right a way.  He left as Matt and I sat there crying in each others arms.  I was a mess.  I didn't know what was in store for us.  When I got home I called the doctor office right away and told them to have the Dr. call me back ASAP!  When he called I asked if we could come back and make sure that we didn't miss any.  I don't think I could have handled another surprise in 3 weeks.  Later that night we went back to the office and were pretty sure there were 4!  
That is the story about how we found out!  It is a little crazy, but are thrilled we were given the opportunity to bring these beautiful babies into the world!
        

4 comments:

Her Royal Highness said...

I had been wondering how it all came about! So no invetro, huh? I remember you calling me telling me that you had been trying for a while & nothing. Wow! What a shocker!
One of our good friends called me up when I was expecting #4 & asked, "So, how many are YOU having?" His wife was pregnant, too & they had just found out she was having triplets!
I'm glad you're good with the news!

Anonymous said...

oh, WOW!! I can't believe they kept finding another baby each visit! I can't imagine going through the adjusting! :) They're all adorable. What a neat family!

Camille said...

you SERIOUSLY just got pregnant with 4 babies? talk about divine intervention. what an amazing mama you are. I can only imagine the glory of your throne in heaven!!

Chelsea said...

that is CRAZY! i found your blog from the phillips family and found their blog from my cousin shelley's blog. so i'm reading through your archives. anyway, how amazing that you ended up with quads w/o any medical assistance. you must have decided you wanted "just one more" and God decided to make it count. :)